In the last few hours as we wait to hear the fate of our country, I want to share an excellent article written by Laura Hollis, entitled "America Asks for a King." One of the things that strikes me about the article is not that Hollis exposes Obama for who he is (she does do that), but she ends by saying, "Neither McCain nor Obama is a king who will save us; we must turn instead to the only One who can." I can only wonder whether we are mere Israelites, begging the Lord for a "savior" who can temporarily bring change but whose effects might be damaging to the country.
Here is the link:
http://townhall.com/columnists/LauraHollis/2008/10/26/america_asks_for_a_king?page=full&comments=true
I have been reminded in so many ways to trust in God's sovereign will; to trust that whatever the outcome, the Lord is in ultimate control, and it is He who both raises up and brings down rulers. This conversation between Frodo and Gandalf in
The Fellowship of the Ring was recently brought to my attention-- it is particularly poignant:
Frodo: "I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, in which case you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."
So yes, we may see one of the most radically Socialist presidential candidates take office. And we may discover that "diplomacy" is not always the answer (especially with Islamic terrorists). We may see the Constitution defamed and the sanctity of life diminished to an even greater degree. I am, with as much faith as I can muster, trusting that God will use these times for His own good, even if we must, for a time, suffer through the consequences of our sin.
No comments:
Post a Comment