Have you read the story of Job? Probably. We all know how
the Lord allowed Satan to bring Job great adversity, from his painful physical
afflictions to the loss of all of his children and possessions. That’s about as
bad as it gets.
In the end, after the Lord responds to Job’s lamentations by
declaring, “Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? (40:2),
Job says poignantly: “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my
eye sees You” (42:5).
Almost six months ago, this verse hit home. Actually, a lot
of verses hit home, mostly the ones about trials, affliction, grief, and
sadness. It was a dark period in our previously sheltered, rosy home. On
November 14th, we found out that we had lost our little boy, Thomas
Kirk, at 23 weeks gestation. After not feeling any movement for a day or so, I
chose to drop by the doctor’s office to check the heartbeat. It’s difficult to
reflect on that moment when our world shattered and the waves of grief rolled
in as the ultrasound tech just said, “I’m sorry, there is no heartbeat.” I
sobbed violently as Michael held me and Eli, who had no idea what else to do
but cry because mommy was crying.
Less than 12 hours later, and sparing the details which no
woman should have to endure, we met our little Thomas, born sleeping at just
over 2 pounds and 12 inches long. He was perfect in every way, and we wept over
him as we processed the reality that we would never know him in this life. He
was spared the very grief we were experiencing in those moments and in the days
and months that would follow. Sweetly, Michael reminded me that Thomas had
fulfilled the days on earth that God had ordained for him—and he’s reminded me
of that every day since.
As we walked the halls of the hospital to go home, I kept my
head down, painfully aware that we were empty handed. We had to say goodbye to
Thomas and to all the memories we had created for our life as a family of four.
Eli would never share his bunk bed with Thomas. We would not have the experience
of raising two boys so close together in age. Thomas would never know his
cousin Cate, born just 10 days later. While we ached for what wouldn’t be, both
Michael and I were thankful for God’s protection over me during the delivery,
for our incredible nurses and doctor who cared for us, and MOST OF ALL, for the
strong assurance that Thomas was in the arms of his Savior for all eternity.
What a glorious thought!
In the days and weeks that followed, we have never felt the
community of Christ more strongly than we did then. Meals, flowers, and cards
poured in—all of which I will never forget.
We cried over and over again each time sweet notes arrived in the mail, written
by so many different people, some of whom we weren’t aware even knew about our
loss. I have kept every letter as a reminder of how many people took the time
to minister to us. We clung to one another and to the promises of Christ that
He would “heal the brokenhearted” and “bind up our wounds” (Psalm 147:3).
Like Job, I began to understand how little I knew of God’s sovereign love (and I choose those words
intentionally) before we lost Thomas. The Lord had spared Michael and me from
affliction of any kind. Chronic back pain was the most debilitating trial I had
ever experienced. But this. This was the stuff of nightmares. Why? We had no
medical explanation for Thomas’s death. We had no option but to trust that the
Lord had reasons that we could only see through a looking glass, darkly. And in
the weeks that would follow, we drew close to the beautiful reality that we
serve a Savior who was acquainted with grief, who experienced sorrow beyond our
own when He sacrificed His only Son on our behalf.
Our grief was real, intense, and by no means sinless. I wish
I could say that everything fell together with perfect clarity and that I
humbly and meekly accepted Thomas’s death the way Christ submitted to His own
death on the cross. But I fell. Over and over again. And still do, if I let my
thoughts drift. But the words of Scripture have been a constant companion, and
by them I am continually being transformed.
Because this has been an intensely personal and sometimes
lonely journey, I haven’t felt “up to” sharing with people. Hence the delay in
updating the blog. But since we lost Thomas, I know of at least five other
women whose dreams were shattered in the same way ours were (through
stillbirth), and I grieve for each of them in a way I never could have before.
This is a journey that we are still on, and as others join us (whether through
experiencing a similar loss or knowing someone who has), I want to grab their
hands, cry with them, and commit to praying for them in the very specific ways I needed prayer,
especially in the days right after we lost Thomas.
A Facebook friend
posted this status back in December, and I was so struck by it that I recorded
it in my journal, and hope you will soak it up as I did, with gratitude that we
serve the Most Holy who willingly went to the cross for sinners:
“The incarnation means
that for whatever reason God chose to let us fall into a condition of being
limited, to suffer, to be subject to sorrows and death—He has nonetheless had
the honesty and the courage to take His own medicine... He himself has gone
through the whole of human experience—from the trivial irritations of family
life and the cramping restrictions of hard work and lack of money to the worst
horrors of pain and humiliation, defeat, despair, and death...He was born in
poverty and...suffered infinite pain—all for us—and thought it well worth his
while.—Dorothy Sayers
The picture below is an ornament sent to us by one of the nurses that cared for us that night. Those are Thomas's sweet footprints--we look forward to adorning our Christmas tree with this precious keepsake next Christmas.
4 comments:
Thank you for sharing your journey Anna.
I’m sure this post was the hardest thing you’ve ever written and can only imagine the tears you shed as you typed it. As grandparents, our hearts have been heavy and sad not only for the loss of our precious Thomas, but also for the pain our children, you and Michael, have had to endure. I'm so glad you shared this. Lots of hugs...we love you!
Thank you for sharing. I understand some of your pain as we have faced it with Amy. I am so proud of you and are praying for you both.
Thanks for writing this. Beautifully said.
Post a Comment