Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Children in Worship

I have my dad to thank for Eli's fascination with the wall vent in our living room. After retelling the story of Stephen using a pen to create "music" on a vent during our first Sunday at a new church (this was 16 years ago), Eli has caught on and will scrape any toy he can find against the vent. Yesterday it was a Fisher-Price tractor.

The story dad tells of his "training" each of us to sit quietly through church never meant as much as now, as we prepare to train Eli--quite a formidable task. One in which Michael and I are continually reminded not to take too seriously as Eli is still young and largely ill equipped to obey our command to "SHH!"

I took heart, though, in a recent article written by George Grant about children in worship. Being among the ranks of Sunday morning sweating, nervous parents myself, I can agree about one thing. The sounds of other children's whines, coos, fusses, etc. have never been more beautiful to me!

Here's the article... definitely worth the read.

No comments: