Monday, January 17, 2011

Hope and Change (No, this has nothing to do with President Obama).

No one can prepare you for life as a parent. As I've been introspectively weighing this truth, I've made a list (by no means exhaustive) of ways in which life has changed over the last 10 weeks.

  • Burp cloths abound in every room. You are guaranteed to find one on both end tables in our living room at any given time, plus one on our bed.
  • I've acquired a keen sense of hearing in lieu of the baby monitor. Due to my ability to hear Eli's shrieks without the use of the monitor, I've found that I enjoy life much more without seeing the red lights illuminate at every whimper from upstairs.
  • I've learned how to fold baby clothes in a relatively space-efficient way.
  • One of life's greatest highlights is to put my pajamas on after we put Eli down between 7-8.
  • I sway when I stand. Even when I'm sans-Eli.
  • 8 straight hours of sleep? What is that?
  • 7 straight hours of sleep? What is that?
  • I miss Eli once I put him down for a nap. But not enough to go wake him up.
  • I now know what the following abbreviations stand for:
    CIO, STTN, DF, BW, PDF (and not the type of computer file), etc.
  • I haven't watched a full episode of A Baby Story since Eli's birth. Not because I don't want to relive that day, but because I've already lived it (does that make sense?)
  • I've discovered that my son is a lot like me in the following ways: he loves to have his arm scratched (or so his daddy tells me) and he loves baths.
  • And last but not least, I wouldn't trade this for the world.

2 comments:

becomingone said...

SO true..All of them.
The other day I was on rounds, and one of the residents asked me why I always sway....nice to know I'm not the only one.
What about EBF, FF, and FTM for abbreviations?

Great post, made me smile in agreement and understanding.

Stephen Parks said...

I didnt see, "Realize that my brother made the best uncle in the world..." :D