
I can only think of a handful of times that I have laughed out loud... alone. Sometimes laughter is obligatory, sometimes it's contagious, and sometimes it's just a pure expression of humor.
This time, it was the poignancy of the words that made me laugh. in my classroom. by myself... once I looked up the word fantod, of course.
Fantods: a state of extreme nervousness or restlessness; the willies; the fidgets (usually prec. by the): We all developed the fantods when the plane was late in arriving.
Doug Wilson has begun commentating on each chapter of Twilight, the Stephanie Meyer book that has begun a nauseating wave of teen hysteria for what seems like eternity. Having read the first book myself (to see what all the fuss was about... I still don't understand), I appreciate Wilson's responding from a Biblical worldview by saying more than, "A BOOK ABOUT VAMPIRES?! WWJD??" I know my status as an English teacher warrants a more articulate explanation for why I despite the series, but he says it much better than I ever could.
In his reviews, he responds in detail to the characters, motifs, and assumptions about human nature. Even if you are a self-confessed, proud member of Team Edward or Team Jacob, please read at least one article. They are worth the time if we as thinking Christians are serious about changing the culture for Christ via wisdom and understanding.
Twilight Review
Feel free to comment, too. :-)
1 comment:
i have to tell you...i finally relented to my MANY friends who kept raving about these books. two of these friends are as fanatical readers as i am. one is a HS english lit teacher, so i thought...ok...i mean, i finally relented & read harry potter years after the initial wave & loved them. so i was hoping for the same here. & like you...i still don't get it. really? it was like sweet valley high (which i also think i read one of, EVER) for vampires. grown women are going gaga for this crap? seriously? thanks for posting the link to this guy's article. i'm definitely going to check him out.
Post a Comment